EMBER is focusing on applied research in the following topics:
- Energy efficiency in buildings and built environment.
- Indoor Environmental Quality and Energy Efficiency.
- Thermal Comfort, Visual Comfort and Indoor Air Quality.
- Performance indicators.
- Green Buildings.
- Zero carbon emissions buildings.
- Urban environment and Climate Change.
- Urban heat island studies and urban heat island mitigation techniques.
- Energy Management Systems.
- Monitoring and Control of indoor environmental conditions.
- Design and integration of smart systems in buildings and urban environment.
The Laboratory staff is involved in various EC and national project projects such as FP7-ICT project 'PEBBLE' targeting to zero energy buildings, the FP7-ENVIRONMENT project 'BRIDGE' aiming to improve the urban environment via the anticipation of the urban heat island the IEE project "Promotion of Cool Roofs in EU", the Green@Hospital CIP project, the Horizon Marie Curie Project SMART GEMS, etc.